Emergency Assistance Program
Under certain conditions, low-to moderate-income families (LMI) who own their homes may qualify to receive emergency repairs on their property. Emergency Assistance is provided for conditions that pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of the family and occurred recently without warning generally within two weeks. Examples include inoperable air conditioner or heater and broken sewer and water supply lines. These repairs are offered in the form of a grant. Please remember that not all your repair requests are eligible and the program does not cover remodeling of the residence. Remodeling is defined as improvements, renovations, and redesigning or altering living or work space that is made for aesthetic reasons and/or do not improve the safety and security of the occupants, structural integrity of the unit, and/or meet the Housing Rehabilitation Program goals and objectives. The program assists homeowners in bringing their qualified dwellings to an acceptable standard, and enhancing and revitalizing neighborhoods within the City of Plano.
For more information on these types of assistance please read:
Who is eligible?
All applicants must be income eligible and:
- the title of the property must be in the name of the applicant(s);
- mortgage payments, property taxes and homeowner’s insurance must be current;
- not be delinquent on any federal debts;
- be a permanent legal resident or U.S. citizen;
- occupy the property as a primary residence;
- all qualified retirement plans, other non-retirement accounts and financial assets must not exceed $100,000, liquid asset cannot exceed $50,000, and
- Meet other underwriting parameters per program requirements
- The property's county appraised value not to exceed $267,750; and
- The repairs meeting the program's housing standards:
(1) Pose a serious and immediate threat to the health or welfare of your family and
(2) Emergency occurred recently without warning
- Households who have previously received two (2) or more Emergency assistance opportunities are not eligible for additional emergency assistance;
- Households who have received over $45,000 in housing rehabilitation assistance or a full reconstruction are not eligible for emergency repairs.
HUD Income Limits 2017
Maximum Household Income
Each household is eligible to receive only one Emergency Assistance per 12-month period.
Call (972) 208-8150 for more eligibility requirements.