Entrance ExamPlano Police Officers are hired from an eligibility roster consisting of the names of individuals who have successfully passed a Police Recruit Civil Service Entrance Examination. Our next Civil Service Entrance Examination will be held on Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 8:00 a.m. at the Plano Senior High School, Building C, 2200 Independence Parkway, Plano, Texas 75075.
To be eligible to take the exam:
- A properly completed Plano Police Entrance Exam Application must be received by the Civil Service Test Administrator before 11:59 p.m. (CST) on Friday, February 2, 2018. Complete instructions are included in the pre-registration questionnaire.
- After submitting the application, an admission slip will be emailed to you; the admission slip allows you entrance to the exam site.
- After receiving your admission slip, you will need to complete a personal history statement and bring it with you to the entrance exam testing site on Saturday, February 10, 2018.
- The Plano Police Department offers the following opportunities to prepare for the upcoming civil service exam: Fitness Testing and Written Test Tutoring.
The Plano Police Department hires officers from an eligibility list established by individuals who successfully complete the City of Plano Civil Service written test. This list is valid for 6 months or until it is exhausted.
After successful completion of the Civil Service test, applicants are processed in the following manner:
- Physical Fitness Test
- Interview with a Background Investigator
- Polygraph examination
- Thorough Background investigation
- Oral Review Board
- Conditional Job Offer
- Psychological Evaluation
- Medical Examination
- Final Review by the Chief of Police
Police recruits who are not licensed peace officers in the State of Texas are required to complete a 22-week basic training program at a regional police academy. After completing the academy and successfully passing the Basic Peace Officer License examination, recruits attend a six-week mini-academy at the Plano-Richardson Police Training Center in Plano. Plano recruits will be assigned to the Patrol Division for field training after completion and passing of the orientation phase, where they will remain with a field training officer until completion of this training.
For employment opportunities within the Plano Police Department contact the City of Plano's Career Information Line Toll Free (866) 485-7777 or the City's Human Resources Department at 972-941-7000.
We are an equal opportunity employer and an advocate of workplace diversity.