Organization & Staffing
Protecting & Serving the Plano Community
The Plano Police Department is a progressive organization comprised of an authorized staff of 348 sworn officers, 153 full-time civilian employees, and 85 civilian part-time employees who are dedicated professionals. The Department offers traditional law enforcement services to our community as well as innovative approaches to community problems. The Plano Police Department is a nationally accredited law enforcement agency and has been since 1992.
Different Roles of Police Department
- Administrative Services Bureau handles many basic services of the Department. It supports all sworn members in several capacities: planning and research, fiscal affairs, crime analysis, alarm permitting and tracking, records maintenance, jail operations, crime scene investigation, property and evidence storage, technology, and supply operations.
- Chief's Office consists of the Chief, two Assistant Chiefs, Administrative Operations Manager, Legal Adviser, Professional Standards Unit, Public Information Office, and two Senior Administrative Assistants, and one Administrative Support Supervisor.
- Criminal Investigative Services Division is divided into two sections, Crimes Against Persons and Crimes Against Property. The Division is headed by one Captain, and each section by a Lieutenant. Crimes Against Persons Section is comprised of the following units: Family Violence, Narcotics, and Sex Crimes. The Crimes Against Property Section consists of Vehicle Crimes, Burglary, General, Forgery, Intelligence, and Juvenile Units. A total of eight Sergeants, 63 Officers, and 9 civilian employees staff this Division.
- Patrol Services Division is the largest division in the Police Department, with a strength of two Captains, eight Lieutenants, 23 Sergeants, 183 Officers, and 20 civilian employees. The Division is made up of the following Units: Patrol, Canine, Neighborhood Patrol Officers, and the Public Safety Unit.
- Support Services Division is comprised of six specialized Units providing essential support to the Department. They are the Crime Prevention Unit, School Liaison Unit, Traffic Unit, Training Unit, Warrants Unit, and the Homeland Security Unit. This division is staffed with a Captain, three Lieutenants, Administrative Lieutenant, Technology Liaison, six Sergeants, 40 Officers, and 8 civilian employees.