Youth Police Academy
The Plano Police Department's Youth Citizens Police Academy is modeled after the Citizens Police Academy and is designed to give young people the opportunity to learn about the Department and its operations and to demonstrate the benefits of law enforcement and community policing in our city. The goal of this program is two-fold:
- to create a positive relationship between the youth of our community and the law enforcement profession; and
- to establish a better understanding of the mutual challenges that face today's youth and the law enforcement officers.
There is no cost to participate in the Youth Police Academy.
Course Dates and Location
Our next 10-week session will begin on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 and end on Thursday, December 1, 2016. Classes are held from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm at the Plano-Richardson Police Training Center (4912 14th Street, Plano, TX 75074).
Restrictions & Requirements
Any Plano student is welcome to attend. As long as the following requirements are met:
- Attendance is required. If it is necessary to miss a day, students are to advise / contact their School Resource Officer.
- Generally no more than two absences will be excused. Excessive absences will result in dismissal from the academy.
- Students must be in the 9th through 12th grade.
- Students must maintain passing grades in all classes and comply with House Bill 72 (No Pass / No Play).
- Students will comply with all rules of the Plano-Richardson Police Training Center and will conduct themselves in a business-like manner at all times.
- Students will comply with the Plano Independent School District Dress Code with the exception that no shorts (male or female) will be allowed. Students are reminded of the professional environment in which they will attend classes and should dress accordingly.