Food Match is a food waste recovery and redistribution initiative of the Environmental Health and Sustainability Department to help reduce the amount of good usable food ending up in the landfill. Through a partnership with MEANS Opens a New Window. , organizations and businesses with food surplus are matched with local assistance programs that redistribute the food to those in need.
In Collin County, 20% of children and 16% of the overall population are considered “food insecure”. Food Match aims to redistribute food that would otherwise go to waste to those in need through 3 simple steps.
- Step 1: Food donors and recipients (local assistance programs) register on the MEANS database. Donors post food items they have available to donate.
- Step 2: Local assistance programs receive a notification of available donations near them.
- Step 3: Local assistance programs claim the food and arrange time and location for pick-up from the food donor.
Questions? Contact Environmental Health and Sustainability at 972-769-4130
Sign up to help reduce food waste and feed the hungry through this partnership by visiting the MEANS website at MEANSdatabase.com Opens a New Window.
The Food Match platform provides information and websites to assist in connecting donors with recipients. The City of Plano makes no representation or warranties of any kind regarding the safety or wholesomeness of food donated through the use of this platform. While food donation liability is generally covered under the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Donation Act, donors and recipients assume all risks and liability in using this platform and consumption of any food product. The City specifically disclaims any and all liability for claims or damages that may result from the use of the Food Match platform.
In order to be a donor you must be approved by the regulatory authority (City of Plano Environmental Health Division) and foods donated must be non-time/temperature controlled foods.
You will list the donation you have available. Once your donation has been claimed, a time and place will be arranged between yourself and the recipient.
Acceptable Food For Donation
• Dried goods sugar, flour, etc.
• Food products that do not require refrigeration
• Whole uncut fruit and vegetables
• Baked goods (not cream or meat filled)
• Unopened commercially packaged or canned foods in sound condition
• Packaged or Prepackaged Foods
• Baking Ingredients
• Cake mix
• Brownie mix
In order to be a recipient you must be a verified 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Once registered on the MEANS database, you will receive notifications of available food in the area. A time and place will be arranged between yourself and the donor.