How to Volunteer
Thank you for choosing the Volunteers In Plano (VIP) program for your volunteer service. To start your volunteer search, please follow the steps below:
- Go to our main page to select the correct category for you – either “Group Volunteer,” “ Adult Volunteer,” “Youth Volunteer” or “College Internship.” From there you will find options for volunteering. Read the summary information carefully to make sure you qualify and meet the schedule requirements.
- Follow the link after the summary to register online.
- By creating a profile with a username and password, you are submitting an electronic application to VIP. There will be a "Send Comments" area of the application where you can write and send a note to VIP staff with questions or comments about your application. Apply to only one department to begin the process, additional departments can be added later.
- Once you have submitted your profile, please wait to receive a response from the VIP office with information about scheduling a short in-person interview. Advance notice will be given if a background check is required in order to volunteer.
If you sign up for events or one-time activities, an in-person interview may not be required. If you have difficulty accessing online registration, please email or call us at 972-941-7617 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Decide Which Volunteer Opportunity is Right for You
Before making a volunteer commitment, it is important to think about your likes and dislikes, the type of volunteer role(s) that you would enjoy, the times you are available, your personal interests and your skills. By sharing this information, you and the Volunteer Team will be able to find your perfect volunteer match.
Parents often help their teens look for volunteer opportunities. Before you make a volunteer commitment for yourself or your teen, it is important that you both think about the following:
- Does the teen have reliable transportation?
- Do you and your teen prefer an on-going opportunity or a one-time event?
- How many hours does your teen need?
- When is your teen available to volunteer?
The VIP program offers various one-time event opportunities as well as great positions that will teach you leadership skills and help you learn more about possible career paths. For more information, see the Teen page.