Zoning Process

The zoning map illustrates the zoning which has been granted to each parcel of land within the city. The Zoning Ordinance contains the specific regulations governing allowed uses, parking requirements, height, setbacks, landscaping, and other items.

Who can Request Rezoning?

Only three entities may initiate a rezoning:

  1. The property owner
  2. The Planning & Zoning Commission
  3. The City Council

The Zoning Process

When a property owner submits a rezoning request to the city, several actions are taken:

  1. The applicant places a sign on the property advertising the requested zoning change.
  2. The request is reviewed and discussed with the applicant as to its conformance with the Comprehensive Plan, Thoroughfare Plan, Park Plan and other adopted guidelines of the city. Staff then formulates a recommendation to the Planning & Zoning Commission for approval or denial based on this review.
  3. Written notices of the public hearing before the Planning & Zoning Commission are sent to all property owners within 200 feet of the property to be rezoned, as required by state law, and others within 500 feet as a courtesy. Although state law only requires notice to be given 10 days in advance, our ordinance requires notices to be sent 20 days in advance. In addition, all known homeowner associations within 1,500 feet are sent a notice as well. The notices include a response letter that can be sent back registering the property owner’s support or opposition to the case.
  4. The Planning & Zoning Commission holds a public hearing at their regular meeting, and anyone can get up and speak for or against the case. The Commission may recommend approval, denial, or to table a zoning request. If the Commission recommends approval, the case is automatically scheduled for a public hearing before the City Council. If the Commission denies a request, the applicant has 30 days to appeal this decision to the City Council.
  5. Notice of the public hearing before the City Council is published in the newspaper at least 15 days in advance of the hearing. Written notice is not mailed again to individual property owners. The City Council will hold the public hearing, and may approve, deny, or table the applicant’s request.

Special Types of Zoning

PD: A planned development (PD) district is most often used when an applicant’s proposal does not fit neatly into the existing Zoning Ordinance. The creation of a planned development district results in special restrictions or allowances that are only applicable within that particular district.

SUP: Specific Use Permits (SUP) are also a specialized form of zoning. An SUP allows a use that may be appropriate in some locations in a given district but not all. SUPs are used for day care centers, private club permits, arcades, and several other uses.

H: The City of Plano also has a heritage resource designation. The "H" designation is applied to properties of historic significance, with approval by the Heritage Commission, the Planning & Zoning Commission, and the City Council.

How can Property Owners get Involved?

Provide a response to current zoning cases via our interactive response map.

Information on new zoning and development applications may be viewed here: Current Projects/Zoning Cases

View agendas and packets for the Planning & Zoning Commission and the City Council.

Questions and concerns regarding this information should be addressed to city staff at 972-941-7151.

Tips for Presentations Before the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council

Homeowner groups should designate two or three representatives to speak on their behalf, rather than have 50 people say the same thing repeatedly. It is much more effective to ask your group to stand to show opposition or support.